Saturday, October 13, 2012

Shopping Haul: Dollar Tree and Ulta

After lunch today, the hub-a-dubs and I did a little shopping. We went to the Dollar Tree, which we both love. seriously. We love just walking around and spending $20 on knick-knacks and things. I ALWAYS check out the cosmetic section at Dollar Tree because y'all, sometimes they get some good stuff, for real. They get a lot of well known name brands, just a bit later than most. I documented everything for you guys, (of course!) so if you see anything you like, you know where to go! :)

 
First thing I picked up was this eyebrow kit from Elf. It sells currently at Target for $3 and I've been wanting to try it. It's a steal!

 
I LOVE headbands from the DT. It's the only place I buy them, because they always end up getting broken or lost. I don't mind, when I only pay $0.33 for each! I keep a bunch of these near my vanity and near the bathroom sink. They're great for holding back my hair when I wash my face and apply makeup!
 


 I also picked up these cream eyeshadows from Maybelline.
 I remember trying these back in the day. I want to use them as eyeshadow bases for similar colors.  I can't help but think these would be awesome for halloween costume makeup. They also had a ton of color options. 
 
 
 The dark colored ones have pretty good pigmentation and the lighter colors are all nice shimmers with a hint of color, great for bases and highlighting. I would just make sure to set them with a similarly colored eyeshadow or translucent powder, so they last as long as possible. 
I swatched them for you guys so you could see them. Starting from top left to right and clockwise from the 9:00 position within each container.
 
 
 
  
I also picked up this palette on a whim. I've never seen nor heard of it, but the colors were enchanting! The picture doesn't do it justice, but they all have a gorgeous gold sparkle to them. And when I say sparkle, I mean spahar-kahul. (did you say that out loud? come on, you totally did, huh?) It's some intense shimmer!
 
I also swatched these for y'all, L-R. I was pleasantly surprised with the pigmentation in some of the colors. The product was a bit powdery, so I would definitely make sure to do your eye makeup before face with this one, but for a whopping one dolluh, they seem pretty darn good!
 
They had a ton of palettes. I tried to show one of every color, but I think I forgot a few. Seriously, how perfect are these colors for some seriously funky halloween stuff?
 
 
 
The next store we went to was ULTA, my FAVORITE! :) Even the hubs tagged along, although somewhat begrudgingly. But since I promised we'd be out quickly, he obliged.
 
That's his "here-we-go, off-in-the-trenches" face
 

I only picked up two things at ulta.
The first was this Real Techniques stippling brush. I have heard a lot of good things about their brushes, so I wanted to give them a try. This is my first brush and I bought it with the intention of applying liquid foundation. I have used a few other brushes in the past, but I was not impressed and found they left streaks on my face. I read a few reviews on makeupalley.com and almost all were super positive, so it should be great!

 
The last thing I picked up was something I've been wanting since I saw it two weeks ago! I have been wanting to try the hoola bronzer, high beam highlighter, and the mascara. What better way to try them, than to pay less than what one costs individually and get a sample kit of all of them? It's perfect.
 I can't wait to try this out! It came with a cheek & lip stain, highligher, brightening primer, mascara, eyelid primer, and bronzer. WIN!
Side note: I think I might have sold the woman at the benefit counter on the Elf eyelid primer. haha Even Ulta workers wanna save a buck...or 30 when they can. :)
Keep your eyes out for kits like these, guys. They're a great bargain. Also, remember, Ulta has the best return policy as long as you keep the receipt, original packaging, and have only used 20% of the item. I've never had anyone argue with me on that one before. I return stuff there, ALL the time and they have always accepted everything!


So there ya go! Those are my shopping treasures for today. Has anyone tried out any of these items?


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I got one of the lip/cheek stains. I've only used it for lips so far, I don't really know how to apply to the cheeks, haha. Let me know how you like yours!

    ReplyDelete