Thursday, October 11, 2012

How to: Choosing a Foundation

We have all been there: you walk into the store, intent on buying a new foundation that is going to match perfectly and give you that perfect, cover-up-every-single-mark-on-your-face look, only to become unbelievably overwhelmed by the seemingly thousands (you're overwhelmed, remember? you can be dramatic) of choices. There are several different brands, each brand even has three or four different kinds within their line, and don't even get you started on the colors! 

How in the world are you supposed to know which one of those isn't gonna make you look like this:


                                                                                
(Obviously it's far too light, taking "highlighting" to a whole new level)  



Or this:

 Picture                  



(Way too dark and leather-esque/malibu tan barbie)


disclaimer: i'm sure all of these women are beautiful naturally.  They just "enhanced" a bit too much. :)

Skin Tone:

There are two main skin tones: cool and warm. To decide which you are, look at the veins on the inside of your arm.  Are they blue or green? If they're blue, you're cool toned (just like me!) You also probably look better in silver jewelry and in bold colors like black, navy blue, hot pink, fire-engine red, and even pink. If they're green, you're warm toned.  You look better in gold jewelry and in warm earthy colors like peach, brown, gold, light green, and orange. 

You can also pull your hair back into a ponytail and then hold a piece of white paper in front of half of your face. Does the other half look more blue or yellow? If it's blue, you're cool toned. If it's yellow, you guessed it, you're warm.

Another test, is to just look closely at your skin, especially on your face with no makeup. If you have cool skin, you will have rosy undertones. (Just like me!) You can see mine here, in my latest video with no makeup on. If you're warm toned, your undertones will be more of a golden or apricot color. 

Okay, did you think about it? Did you try some of the tests? Did someone walk in on you staring into a mirror with a piece of paper stuck in front of your face and think you were practicing for a one-man production of The Phantom at the Opera? Perfect. 

Knowing this will help you pick out your foundation. Some lines, i.e. L'Oreal True Match, name their foundation according to skin tones. C1 being the lightest cool shade and W1 being the lightest warm. This is extremely helpful, especially for beginners, because a lot of the guesswork is done for you. Now, all you have to do is find the correct color.


Choosing a color:

Okay, first you just have to look at the colors in the bottle and see which one looks like it matches your skin the best. Do not compare the bottle to your hand.  I repeat: do NOT compare to your hand.  Your hand is not the same color as your face.  This method is super out dated and just not helpful. 

 Pick up a few bottles that you think are closest to your skin tone, usually they are in clear glass bottles so you can see the product, and hold them near your face. (If you're shopping at the drugstore or Walmart/Target, I suggest taking a compact mirror with you. Most of these stores no longer have mirrors in the cosmetic section. If you don't have one and are in Target, walk a few aisles over, to the curling irons and such, they usually have lighted magnifying vanity mirrors on display and can be used in a pinch. I've totally done it.) 

Pick the color that matches the closest with your face. If you can test it, test in 3 places on your face.  That's right, three.  1. Underneath your eyes. 2. Around/on your nose. 3. On the side of your cheek/jawline and down onto the top of your neck. It is best to do this all on the same side of your face for two reasons: 1. you can compare it with the no makeup side. 2. If the color is wrong, you still have another side to experiment on. The correct color should, essentially, disappear on your face. If you can't decide between two colors, or can't test the color, choose the darker.  The darker shade will warm up your whole face and give you a nice glow, plus it usually covers better as well. 

If you can't test the makeup, make sure you are buying in a store that has a good return policy, so you can bring that sucker right back! 
Walgreens and CVS will both take anything back as long as you have the receipt and original packaging. It doesn't matter if it is opened and used or not. They want you to be happy. Walgreens items have to be returned within 30 days of purchase. I have also returned makeup to Target with a receipt. I haven't returned to Walmart yet; I've heard they are not the most consistent with returns: some will, some won't. Ulta and Sephora have the best return policies, I think. I have returned items to Ulta, 6 months after purchasing, but I still had my receipt and packaging, so they gave me store credit.

Which brands are good? 

I think the L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Makeup is a great starter foundation for beginners.  Because they name is according to skin tone, once you can identify your skin tone with this brand, you'll be much more confident branching out, since all you have to do is find a similar shade within another line if you'd like. I have used this and loved the application since it blends so well and dries to almost a powdery finish, leaving my skin feeling light. I purchased a shade too light and it wasn't flattering, so I returned it, but I will definitely be re-purchasing. Target:$8.49


                              

I have used and am really impressed with Mabelline's Super Stay Makeup Foundation. It's supposed to be a dupe (duplicate) for Estee Lauder's Double Wear. IT is a full coverage foundation and stays on for forever. I noticed that my Target isn't selling these anymore, so you might have to check around. Walgreens: $11.49


                              

I am currently using Rimmel's Long Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation. I am pleased with the product. It is inexpensive, lasts quite a while, and smells great. it has good coverage. i don't love the packaging and the foundation is a bit thin, which can be messy, but that's not enough for me not to use it. I have recently gotten some breakouts, but have yet to be able to determine if they're from the product, or just good ole' hormonal crazy coming out on my face. Target: $6.49
                                 

Everyone raves about Revlon's Colorstay liquid foundation. They make two formulas: one for combination/oily skin and one for normal/dry skin. I have read countless positive reviews of this foundation. I purchased this from Ulta and returned it because I found it to be way too thin, watery, and it provided next to zero coverage.  However, after reading so many positive reviews, I'm wondering if I just purchased the wrong formula for my skin tone. (I didn't see the combination/oily or normal/dry specification) Seriously, eeeeeveryone loves this stuff.
Target: $9.99

                 




So there ya go! Hopefully that will help some of you guys find the foundation for you. Remember, ask the cashier what the return policy is and don't be afraid to bring that sucker back if you don't like it! It makes the whole process a lot easier because you're not wasting money on products that don't work for you. You can just keep trying until you find what you'd like.

Please let me know, via comment here in the blog or on my facebook page, if this was helpful for you. I want to do what's most helpful! 

If you made it to the end of this post, you're a beauty beast! :)







2 comments:

  1. Love Revlon ColorStay. I don't use liquid foundation very often because I love the ease of powder ones. When I do use liquid, this is the one I use the most. I have sampled a bunch of high end ones from Sephora and I like ColorStay better. I want to try the Rimmel now too. :-)
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use the oily/combo skin one? The rimmel is a great deal for the price, especially when paired with the Stay Matte powder. That's some good stuff!

      Delete